Les offres d'emplois de Avaaz
Avaaz is a 48-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world’s people shape global decision-making. (“Avaaz” means “voice” or “song” in many languages). Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 19 countries on 5 continents and operates in 16 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz’s latest campaigns here,
Investigative Journalism Director – Avaaz Elves, Anti-Disinformation Team
Period: 5 months (Jan-May 2019) with longer-term renewal possibility
Ahead of the EU elections, Avaaz is launching an unprecedented anti-disinformation project, to protect Europe’s democracies from the proliferation of fake news. After a pilot project in Brazil, which saw Avaaz take down a huge Facebook disinformation network in the country, we plan to scale our efforts on the European continent, launching a 27-country operation powered by big data, investigative journalism, and the strength of our network of 20 million members in the EU. The aim is to identify and debunk fake news, take down the biggest disinformation networks, bots and troll armies, bring to justice the criminal networks behind them; and create viral content and factual corrections to reach those who have been exposed.
As the Investigative Journalism Team Director, you will be responsible for designing, staffing and directing ambitious investigations aimed at exposing illegal activities of the networks behind disinformation operations, including illicit funding, hate speech, breach of media and election laws, and links to organized crime. You will be responsible for developing and producing a stream of groundbreaking, standout stories on disinformation operations. Knowledge of EU politics and familiarity with key EU players are required.
This is an exciting leadership position in one of the most innovative and ambitious public organisations in the world today. It offers a unique platform from which to develop and pursue large-scale social change.
- Leading a team of investigative reporters and researchers to produce reports and news pieces focused on spotlighting the biggest disinformation operations in the EU, including through undercover operations;
- Leading a team in collecting evidence of illicit financing of disinformation networks, as well as engaging in the work directly, following the clues to identify and uncover the biggest disinformation operations in Europe;
- Coordination with the Online Research and Big Data team leads to identify the most promising directions for investigation.
- Drafting of press releases, reports and background documents on disinformation operations.
This is a demanding role that requires remarkable talent in a wide range of areas. The ideal candidate will have a good cross-section of the following qualifications:
- Several years’ experience in investigative journalism, with demonstrated results;
- Proven track record managing multiple tasks and ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong analytical, research, and investigative skills;
- Superb writing, editing and oral communication skills;
- Commitment and ability to develop a stable of sources for exclusive stories;
- Strong media contacts, and knowledge of the media landscape in multiple EU countries;
- High-level understanding of social media platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group;
- Strong project and staff management skills;
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision;
- Excellent judgement and decision-making abilities;
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure;
- Strong strategic, creative, and innovative thinking;
- Passion and commitment to freedom of speech, the fight against corruption, citizen empowerment and social change;
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines;
- Specific experience with illicit funding investigations and managing undercover journalists is an additional asset;
- Digital storytelling skills, including video and data, are an additional asset.
We hope for a blend of these criteria, but will consider qualified candidates who may not meet all of them.
Fluency in English and one of the following EU languages is a requirement: Italian, Spanish, French, German. Additional languages are an asset.
Location: Avaaz is a virtual organisation, with most of our work done over email, telephone and Skype. For this position we would prefer candidates based in the EU, but welcome other applicants from around the world.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading non-governmental organisations.
This position reports to an Avaaz staffer.